Rumor: PS3, PSP, and PS Vita online stores shutting down soon

If it ain't Nintendo
Kahhhhyle
Reactions:

Rumor: PS3, PSP, and PS Vita online stores shutting down soon

Post by Kahhhhyle » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:03 pm

https://www.thegamer.com/ps3-vita-psp-s ... ly-closed/

PSP and PS3 on July 2nd, PS Vita on August 27th.

Just a rumor for now but if there's anything you really want before they go offline might be time to think about it

Nicholas
Reactions:

Re: Rumor: PS3, PSP, and PS Vita online stores shutting down soon

Post by Nicholas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:09 pm

I thought PSP store got discontinued already.

But it was inevitable for PS3. That system released in 2006! Damn! And it produced some fine graphics even today with Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Killzone 3, and The Last of Us

But they had to figure out the alien cell processor to do that at the tail end of the system's life. But still, it was very capable. Then there's the wizardry that Rockstar did with GTA 5.

Nicholas
Reactions:

Post by Nicholas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:12 pm

The hurts me the most is the Vita part.

Dude that system is so modern even today, I've never seen a piece of tech be so ahead of its time that a decade later it doesn't even show a hint of age. Yeah, it would need more power today, but the overall experience and everything else is 2021 worthy.

Death
Reactions:

Post by Death » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:49 pm

So much for muh digital future, huh? :roll:

That said, I'll believe it when Sony confirms it or I see it since some random website with an unnamed source isn't something that screams reliability (though a Vita dev has made some comments (archive) on it).

It wouldn't be surprising though given that the PSP store was taken down on the console in 2014-2016 (you can still use a PC or PS3 to get PSP games and then transfer them to your PSP though), sales/discounts for PS3 and Vita content stopped over a year ago, PS3 and Vita games were removed with the new web store design late last year (there's a workaround to still access the old one though), PS3 and Vita stores no longer accept credit cards in Europe, the Vita store has been glitchy for ages now and often doesn't show new release games, and apparently you can't (un)hide PS3 and Vita games from your trophy list on a PS5 console.

If it does happen, I hope there's a big shitstorm/PR nightmare about it and more people start to realise that digital on console is an awful proposition. 14.5 years isn't anywhere close to an acceptable timeframe for a digital storefront when you can still buy and play 25-year-old PS1 discs and 44-year-old Atari 2600 carts.

Ninja Monkey
Reactions:

Post by Ninja Monkey » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:00 pm

I'm a mod, I can confirm it.
There's your source
Spoiler:
But yes, digital proposition on consoles is pretty shitty indeed.
Always has been
A_horse_with_no_name Extraordinaire®
▓▓▓▓▓░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓██▒░░▒▒
▓▓▓░░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓██░▒▒▒▒
▓▓░▐▌░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓██▒▒▒▒▒
▓▓░░▌░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓██▒▒▒▒▓▒
▓▓▒░░░░░░
▀███░░░░
▓▒▒░░░░
▌▄████▌░░░
▓▒▒░░░░
███▄█▌░░░
▓▒▒░░░░░
▀▀▀▀░░░░
▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▐▄░
▒▒▒▒▒▒░░
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░

Nicholas
Reactions:

Post by Nicholas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:11 pm

Death wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:49 pm
So much for muh digital future, huh? :roll:

That said, I'll believe it when Sony confirms it or I see it since some random website with an unnamed source isn't something that screams reliability (though a Vita dev has made some comments (archive) on it).

It wouldn't be surprising though given that the PSP store was taken down on the console in 2014-2016 (you can still use a PC or PS3 to get PSP games and then transfer them to your PSP though), sales/discounts for PS3 and Vita content stopped over a year ago, PS3 and Vita games were removed with the new web store design late last year (there's a workaround to still access the old one though), PS3 and Vita stores no longer accept credit cards in Europe, the Vita store has been glitchy for ages now and often doesn't show new release games, and apparently you can't (un)hide PS3 and Vita games from your trophy list on a PS5 console.

If it does happen, I hope there's a big shitstorm/PR nightmare about it and more people start to realise that digital on console is an awful proposition. 14.5 years isn't anywhere close to an acceptable timeframe for a digital storefront when you can still buy and play 25-year-old PS1 discs and 44-year-old Atari 2600 carts.
The new consoles are a continuation of the old ones in the sense they are like getting a better PC. The whole model has changed and we won't see something like this again. Everyone moved to essentially using PC parts from the same manufacturer thus there are no compatibility issues anymore unlike trying to emulate 360 games on the XB1 or Sony resorting to streaming PS3 games on PS4.

Consoles have finally caught up with PC in how they do digital and making 60 fps the standard.

2006 vs 2021 is a huge leap in what is expected and how things are done.

Nicholas
Reactions:

Post by Nicholas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Also, remember when I said that the PSP was one of the best older systems to buy since you'd be morally right to install CFW and just pirate any game you want?

If it wasn't justified before, it sure 100% is now. Anytime a system gets discontinued and the digital store gets shut down, that's basically a "go ahead, we don't care, we just wanna sell PS5 stuff" from the company's perspective.

Kahhhhyle
Reactions:

Post by Kahhhhyle » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 pm

Confirmation. And details for what exactly is happening. It's exactly what you expect. You can still re-download your stuff for now, but now new purchases.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/suppo ... nt-notice/

Nicholas
Reactions:

Post by Nicholas » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:50 pm

Kahhhhyle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 pm
Confirmation. And details for what exactly is happening. It's exactly what you expect. You can still re-download your stuff for now, but now new purchases.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/suppo ... nt-notice/
Just a PSA again.

This from the OLD era of consoles, the new consoles are essentially gaming PCs and they are going to be building a digital library as they run on PC architecture now. The Series X/S are literally just better Xbox Ones and the PS5 is a better PS4 with a new menu and controller.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Nicholas
Reactions:

Post by Nicholas » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:24 pm

The real crime here is that you won't be able to hear this magnificent charming shop theme from the Vita anymore, again, how is Nintendo not being charming and colorful like this anymore with their OS? But Playstation did it?