Post by Jw224 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 pm

WoodenSaucer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:16 pm
Jw224 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm
Mr_Nick666 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:21 am
There be dragons...

People can't handle a differing opinion these days so I'd (with personal experience) steer clear.

Have you ever stopped to consider that if your reaction towards people disagreeing with you is "you can't handle my opinion" that maybe you're the problem in that situation?
Haha. Even with a hypothetical, non-specific statement, we're already pointing our fingers at each other. Yeah, a political thread will be great! :lol:
I don't what he says is hypothetical at all. He's saying people can't handle differing opinions, I'm saying that they can and it's him that can't handle when people tell him why they disagree with him.
Bringer Of Bantz

WoodenSaucer
Reactions:

Re: Add optional boards

Post by WoodenSaucer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Jw224 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 pm
I don't what he says is hypothetical at all. He's saying people can't handle differing opinions, I'm saying that they can and it's him that can't handle when people tell him why they disagree with him.
I don't know what world you live in. It must be a lot different in your part of the world. Where I'm at, it's just a fact that people can't handle differing opinions. Not only that, but everything we've experienced in the past with this community just shows that people can't handle differing opinions. I know you've been a part of that for a really long time, so I'm not sure why you're thinking everyone can handle different opinions. You've been just as frustrated as anyone here.

Delicious Malk
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Delicious Malk » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 pm

WoodenSaucer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:26 pm
Jw224 wrote:
I don't know what world you live in. It must be a lot different in your part of the world. Where I'm at, it's just a fact that people can't handle differing opinions. Not only that, but everything we've experienced in the past with this community just shows that people can't handle differing opinions. I know you've been a part of that for a really long time, so I'm not sure why you're thinking everyone can handle different opinions. You've been just as frustrated as anyone here.
I mean I dunno. On the one hand, people can definitely handle differing opinions. It's often just how the opinions are presented is the problem. Anonymity of the internet + how the media works ("hot takes" bring in the money) leads to people just generally not treating others with respect.

There's a difference I think between being able to handle others' opinions and being able to handle opinions with personal attacks thrown in here and there
Kahhhhyle wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:29 pm
I'm a Wii U loser not a Vita loser

Mr_Nick666
Reactions:

Post by Mr_Nick666 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 am

Jw224 wrote:
Have you ever stopped to consider that if your reaction towards people disagreeing with you is "you can't handle my opinion" that maybe you're the problem in that situation?
Jw224 wrote:
I can use an entire forum to dispute those comments (it's still there for now). In fact, if their aimed at me, they're just plain ridiculous. However, the same can not be said for.. others. I never once tried to silence an opinion. The evidence doesn't show... others.. offering the same tolerance.

Too many people aren't grown up enough to handle different perspectives. It's sad but it's a fact. Millenials have a lot to answer for.

WoodenSaucer
Reactions:

Post by WoodenSaucer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:52 am

Delicious Malk wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 pm
WoodenSaucer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:26 pm
Jw224 wrote:
I mean I dunno. On the one hand, people can definitely handle differing opinions. It's often just how the opinions are presented is the problem. Anonymity of the internet + how the media works ("hot takes" bring in the money) leads to people just generally not treating others with respect.

There's a difference I think between being able to handle others' opinions and being able to handle opinions with personal attacks thrown in here and there
When you've been a part of trying to moderate a bunch of people ripping each other's heads off because they can't handle differing opinions, being told you're the problem, and that everyone can handle differing opinions just doesn't sit well. In fact, telling people something like that is a perfect example of the point they're trying to make in that very statement.

I'll admit that some people are definitely more abrasive than others, though.

Jw224
Reactions:

Post by Jw224 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Mr_Nick666 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 am
Jw224 wrote:
Jw224 wrote:
I can use an entire forum to dispute those comments (it's still there for now). In fact, if their aimed at me, they're just plain ridiculous. However, the same can not be said for.. others. I never once tried to silence an opinion. The evidence doesn't show... others.. offering the same tolerance.

Too many people aren't grown up enough to handle different perspectives. It's sad but it's a fact. Millenials have a lot to answer for.
The only reason you're saying that people can't handle your opinions is because people have been telling you why they disagree with you and you don't like it. I'm talking about on the previous forum more so than this one. I also think you know what I'm gonna say to the "millennials are ruining everything" rubbish.
Bringer Of Bantz

Mr_Nick666
Reactions:

Post by Mr_Nick666 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:37 pm

Jw224 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm
Mr_Nick666 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 am
Jw224 wrote:
Jw224 wrote:

The only reason you're saying that people can't handle your opinions is because people have been telling you why they disagree with you and you don't like it. I'm talking about on the previous forum more so than this one. I also think you know what I'm gonna say to the "millennials are ruining everything" rubbish.
I'm a forty-two year old man, not a kid. Please show me this evidence? I enjoy a good debate and strove to never silence anyone's voice. I'll happily argue my point though. All I see is (and there's plenty of evidence) you not liking MY opinion and trying to silence ME. It's fine if you don't like me, really. Just don't try and make me out to be something I'm not and stop trying to create an argument where there doesn't need to be one.

Delicious Malk
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Delicious Malk » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm

As far as I can see, things go downhill when we abandon pretense and start getting personal. I still disagree that the people here cannot handle opinions different than their own, and the proof appears to be in the pudding. This whole "heated" discussion started with pointing fingers instead of actual opinions. jw's frustration likely stems from posts on the other board by Nick saying that we can't handle differing opinions, so he pointed a finger at Nick. Then Nick points the finger back, which is natural.

If the issues are of a personal nature then there isn't much I can do about it. But, let's keep discussion objective. We have the opportunity to put the past behind us and just start assuming the best of people. Take it. Pointing fingers at specific members or even groups of them (ie millenials) here is unproductive, it doesn't do anything for anyone.

The reason this sub-forum is hidden is so that you can do a little introspection and see if you don't take differing political opinions personally. If you do, don't ask me to add you to that forum. Simple as that. That sub-forum is a true no-holds-barred discussion and I'd like to keep this sort of thing in there.

I don't think we need to lock this because I know everyone involved don't let things get out of control, and I always hated when mods posted a "last post" but I wanted to discuss it.
Kahhhhyle wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:29 pm
I'm a Wii U loser not a Vita loser

Ancient
Reactions:

Post by Ancient » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:12 am

Delicious Malk wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm
I don't think we need to lock this because I know everyone involved don't let things get out of control, and I always hated when mods posted a "last post" but I wanted to discuss it.
If you're talking about the two political threads on the original forum, they were closed because members started antagonizing others that they had come to see as their "enemies"--from the political thread--in separate, mundane, video game oriented threads. So while it may have seemed sort of dictatorial to some, there was a reason behind it. Sometimes it's best just to shut things down.
President of the Jonas Grumby fan club.

Mr_Nick666
Reactions:

Post by Mr_Nick666 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Ancient wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:12 am
Delicious Malk wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm
If you're talking about the two political threads on the original forum, they were closed because members started antagonizing others that they had come to see as their "enemies"--from the political thread--in separate, mundane, video game oriented threads. So while it may have seemed sort of dictatorial to some, there was a reason behind it. Sometimes it's best just to shut things down.
The old adage "Never discuss politics and religion" still stands. People find it very hard to separate other stuff from firmly held beliefs. I'm not saying everyone, I'm just saying enough people to cause issues.